is a spectacular 14 hectare botanic garden devoted to the display of
Australian and South African shrub and tree species. Wittunga
demonstrates the close relationship, yet contrasting features of the
South African and Australian floras, while conserving vulnerable plant
Wittunga Botanic Garden has been open to the public since 1975, while
the parent body Adelaide Botanic garden has been open since 1857.
In 1901, Edwin Ashby established Wittunga to build up a mixed farm.
He became fascinated with Australian flora and extended the garden
accordingly. He also planted a collection of South African
species, principally ericas and proteas.
Edwin Ashby died in 1941 and Wittunga passed to his son, Keith Ashby, who shared
his father's enthusiasm for both Australian and South African plants.
In 1965 Keith Ashby with his family's encouragement gave Wittunga to the
State in the care of the Board of the Botanic Gardens of Adelaide.
After Keith Ashby died in 1971 the Board assumed full responsibility for
Wittunga and the garden officially opened to the public in September
Photos Below by Eileen Harvey, Garden
Guide, in Wittunga Botanic Garden 2010: